You can transfer the license for Diafaan SMS Server to a new computer as long as you make sure that the same license is not installed on two computers at the same time. The best way to transfer the license is:
1. Install the Diafaan SMS Server trial software on the new computer
2. Apply your license to the new installation
3. Uninstall Diafaan SMS Server on the old computer
I am currently running a trial Diafaan server on my laptop. As I am unable to complete the test within 30 days I intend to purchase a license so I can continue my testing beyond the 30 days. However upon completion, I will be running the server on a desktop.
I believe I can just transfer the license to the new desktop?
What are the steps in detail if I am just transferring a license from my laptop to the desktop? Or is there already a set of instruction available online?
Diafaan SMS Server does not have an option to import the configuration file, this file is only intended for troubleshooting purposes and not to transfer the configuration to a new machine. The configuration file only contains a subset of the settings of Diafaan SMS Server and importing the configuration file would not be enough to copy all the settings to a new server.
You can follow the steps in my answer to Tassmo's original question below to transfer Diafaan SMS Server to a new server.
how to import Configuration.xml on new server? There is an option to export configuration to file, but i can't find option to import it...
If copying all files from one server to another, why there is option to export/import config?
I followed your procedure in transferring to a new machine. However, seems it did not work. What could be the problem. Thanks.
I had already added the DSN to the system list rather than user and in the correct program version but it had no effect.
I have now solved the issue by uninstalling the ODBC connecter and re-installing the version intended for 32bit operating systems - it's working fine now!
I can think of two reasons why the ODBC DSN you have added does not work as the connection string in Diafaan SMS Server:
1. On 64-bit versions of Windows, there are two 'ODBC Data Source Administrator' programs, one for 32-bit and one for 64 bit ODBC drivers, both are illogically called odbcad32.exe. The 32-bit version of the ODBC administrator program (that Diafaan SMS Server needs) is located on '%systemdrive%\Windows\SysWoW64\Odbcad32.exe'.
2. If you use a Data Source Name (DSN) as the connection string, you have to add it to the 'System DSN' list in the ODBC administrator program. If you add it to the User DSN list, Diafaan SMS Server won't be able to find it because, by default, it runs as a service under the local system account and not as a user.
Thanks for that Henk, that all seemed to work absolutely fine - except for one thing... the new PC has windows 7 (64 bit) and although I installed ODBC Driver version 5.1 32 bit I am getting the dreaded ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager].
I ran odbcad32 and added a DSN using the correct database details - tried the test button in odbcad32 and it connected but Diafaan is still giving me the error and the SQL is not working!
What else do I need to do to get this working?
Perfect, thanks Henk!
The best course of action is:
- Install the latest version of Diafaan SMS Server on the new server
- Apply your license to the new server
- Stop the Diafaan SMS Server service on both servers
- Stop the Diafaan SMS Server console program on both servers
- Copy the folder '%ProgramData%\Diafaan\Diafaan Message Server\' folder from the old server to the new server
- Start the Diafaan SMS Server console program on the new server
- Start the Diafaan SMS Server service on the new server
- Check to see if the new server works correctly
- Remove Diafaan SMS Server from the old server
The '%ProgramData%' folder is different on different versions of Windows. For Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 the folder is located on 'c:\ProgramData\'.
How would one go about transferring Diafaan to a new computer (and possibly upgrading to the latest version at the same time) without losing any of the license or configuration settings?
Most Users Ever Online: 494
Currently Browsing this Page:
Guest Posters: 546
Newest Members:, Henk Helmantel
Administrators: Henk Helmantel: 1073